Bosses gone bad: Research finds employees lack respect for their managers
Which would employees choose? A hangover, a credit card bill or a meeting with their boss? The research says...
Bosses are in deep trouble according to a new research report Lessons for Leaders from the People Who Matter by Harris Interactive.
The research, commissioned for DDI talent management, concludes that “employees would rather suffer a bad hangover, do housework, or see their credit card bill arrive in the mail than face the prospect of sitting through a performance discussion with their boss. And only 40 percent of respondents report that their boss never damages their personal self-esteem, leaving 60 percent saying they do sometimes, most of the time or always."
"These findings should be of enormous concern to any business. They show that leaders are failing in their obligation to employees and, therefore, their organization. The consequences of managers and bosses with poor leadership skills are enormous," says Simon Mitchell, director at DDI UK.
There is hope. Employee motivation to give their best rose from 5 percent to 84 percent when bosses helped employees be more productive.
Here’s another nugget. Writer David Woods says, “The survey also found nearly half (45 percent ) of respondents think they could be more effective than their manager, but only 46 percent would actually want to.”
You can read more on this research and solutions in HRmagazine.
Popularity: This record has been viewed 3495 times.