25 annoying communication habits — of other people
How do you rate on this checklist?
The communication habits and styles of other people can be awfully irritating. It's never you and I. It's always someone else.
That's the consensus in my training programs when I ask people about communication hang-ups, quirks, and pet peeves. Okay, I admit I'm certainly guilty of a few (not saying which ones!) How about you?
Complete this sentence: I get annoyed with other people and their communication habits when they:
1. Interrupt me
2. Finish my sentences
3. Fail to look at me
4. Chew gum loudly
5. Type on the computer while we're on the phone
6. Mumble on a voicemail message
7. Lack clarity in project directions
8. Write their "out of office" message with spelling errors
9. Complain, criticize, complain, criticize....
10. Say their phone number so fast on a voicemail that I can't get it after replaying it seven times
11. Ask me how I am and their facial expression clearly reveals they aren't listening and don't truly care
12. Keep repeating information and making conversations and correspondence painfully long
13. Inject nervous giggles or laughter into conversations that simply aren't funny
14. Forget to say their name in a voicemail message
15. Try to impress me by "topping" whatever I say
16. Get distracted with their gadgets and technology in meetings, conversations, and networking events
17. Talk too fast or too slow
18. Give wimpy handshakes
19. Send a 3-page email when one paragraph would suffice
20. Plan lengthy meetings with no agenda, and then order food
21. Speak louder to people with accents
22. Deliver presentations in a monotone voice
23. Eat while on the phone
24. Call people out (in social media) in public instead of sending a private message
25. Forget to update their voicemail to let people know they are on vacation for 2 weeks
The red flags are up my friend. What can you do to improve your communication?